There’s something truly magical about a well-lit outdoor space. It can transform an ordinary backyard into a stunning oasis and make your home the envy of the neighborhood. Outdoor lighting not only enhances the aesthetic appeal of your property but also provides practical benefits such as increased security and safety.
When it comes to outdoor lighting, there are two main options: high voltage and low voltage. While both options have their pros and cons, the choice ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences.
Our residential outdoor lighting specialists at Carolina Outdoor Lighting Professionals are exploring the benefits and drawbacks of each lighting type while offering guidance on how to choose the right option for your home. So, whether you’re looking to highlight your home’s architecture, illuminate your garden, or create a cozy ambiance on your patio, we will provide valuable insights to help you make an informed decision for your outdoor space.
What is High Voltage Outdoor Lighting?
High-voltage outdoor lighting is a type of outdoor lighting that operates on 120 volts of electrical power, which is the same voltage as most indoor electrical appliances. High-voltage outdoor lighting is typically hardwired directly into your home’s electrical system and is installed by a licensed electrician.
Benefits of High Voltage Outdoor Lighting
Some of the pros to installing high-voltage lighting on your property include:
- High-voltage outdoor lighting provides bright and powerful illumination that can cover a large area.
- High-voltage outdoor lighting can be easily controlled through a switch or a timer.
Drawbacks of High Voltage Outdoor Lighting
Just as there are benefits to high-voltage outdoor lighting, these installations come with some drawbacks, such as:
- High-voltage outdoor lighting can be more expensive to install than low-voltage outdoor lighting since it requires a licensed electrician.
- High-voltage outdoor lighting uses more electricity than low-voltage lighting, which increases your energy bills.
- High-voltage outdoor lighting can be less flexible than low-voltage lighting in terms of placement and design.
Examples of High Voltage Outdoor Lighting Products
Some of the many types of outdoor lighting products that run on high-voltage energy are:
- Wall-mounted sconces
- Post lights
What is Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting?
Low-voltage LED lighting is a type of outdoor lighting that operates on 12 or 24 volts of electrical power, which is much lower than the 120 volts used in high-voltage outdoor lighting. Most low voltage lighting systems for residential applications are 12V. Low-voltage outdoor lighting is typically powered by a transformer that converts the electrical power from your home’s electrical system to a lower voltage that is safe for outdoor use and much more energy efficient.
Benefits of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting
Some of the advantages of low-voltage LED lighting for outdoors are:
- Low-voltage outdoor lighting is more energy-efficient than high-voltage lighting, which reduces your energy bills.
- Low-voltage outdoor lighting is more flexible than high-voltage lighting in terms of placement and design since it does not require a licensed electrician for installation.
- Low-voltage outdoor lighting is safer to use since it uses a lower voltage and does not pose as much of a risk of electrical shock.
Drawbacks of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting
Considering the drawbacks of low-voltage lighting when compared to high-voltage lighting options, some of the cons are:
- Low-voltage outdoor lighting provides less powerful illumination than high-voltage lighting and may not be suitable for large spaces if you desire truly functional lighting.
- Low-voltage outdoor lighting can be more susceptible to voltage drop, which can cause the lights to become dimmer the further they are from the transformer. This is why it is important to ensure the home run wires are thicker 10 to 12 gauge cable.
Examples of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Products
When it comes to low-voltage LED lighting options, there are many. Here are some ways to include low-voltage outdoor lighting on your property:
- Uplights (on home and trees)
- Pathway lights
- Deck lights
- Wall lights
- In-ground lights
How to Choose Between High Voltage and Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting
There are several factors to consider when choosing outdoor lighting for your home. When it comes to choosing between high-voltage vs low-voltage outdoor lighting, homeowners should weigh the pros and cons in various areas of consideration.
Here’s a breakdown of some key considerations:
- Cost: High-voltage outdoor lighting is typically more expensive to install than low-voltage outdoor lighting because it requires a licensed electrician for installation and lines have to be buried deeper by code.
- Energy Efficiency: Low-voltage outdoor lighting is more energy-efficient than high-voltage lighting since it requires less power to operate. Low-voltage LED lighting is an excellent choice for homeowners who want to save on their energy bills while still achieving the desired illumination.
- Flexibility: Low-voltage outdoor lighting is more flexible than high-voltage lighting in terms of placement and design. Low-voltage lighting does not require a fixed power source, making it easier to install in hard-to-reach areas.
- Installation: High-voltage outdoor lighting requires a licensed electrician for installation, which can add to the installation cost.
Overall, the advantages of exterior low-voltage LED lights outweigh those of high-voltage lighting options.
Why Low-Voltage Outdoor Lighting is the Superior Choice for Homeowners
Low-voltage LED lighting is the better choice for homeowners looking to achieve energy-efficient, flexible, and cost-effective outdoor lighting. With a variety of styles and designs available, low-voltage LED lighting provides homeowners with the opportunity to create a beautiful and functional outdoor space that meets their needs and design aesthetic. So, if you’re considering outdoor lighting for your home, be sure to consider the benefits of low-voltage LED lighting before making a decision.
To help you discover the many lighting options for the exterior of your home, visit our outdoor lighting gallery for inspiration.
Create the Perfect Outdoor Space with Low Voltage LED Lights from our Raleigh Outdoor Lighting Experts
Transform your outdoor space into a stunning oasis with the help of Carolina Outdoor Lighting Professionals. Our team of outdoor lighting experts in Raleigh can help you create the perfect ambiance with low-voltage LED lights that are energy-efficient, flexible, and cost-effective.
Whether you’re looking to illuminate your patio, highlight your home’s architecture, or create a warm and inviting ambiance in your garden, our experts can help you choose the perfect low-voltage LED lighting solutions for your home.
Contact Carolina Outdoor Lighting Professionals today to schedule an at-home consultation and take the first step toward achieving a beautiful, functional, and energy-efficient outdoor space. Call us at 919-523-0561 or fill out the contact form to request a free evening demo.
Request a Demo
Set up your FREE Evening Demonstration with the experts from Carolina Outdoor Lighting Professionals